Monday, January 2, 2012

Vintage Buttercream Cake

I must say this is one of my favorite cakes!! Something about the billowy textured buttercream. This was for a soon to be fashion major 18 year old beautiful young lady.
So we swapped some ideas. She liked the vintage romantic and soft pastel colors. So we found pictures like this one for inspiration.

She knew she did NOT want any fondant so we focused on buttercream textures. I watched some you tube video tutorials to learn some techniques. I posted the videos on pinterest!
http://pinterest.com/cczielinski/baking/ 
I sketched a few pictures and we decided on an ivory/off-white and pastel pink color palette.


I found the perfect brooch!! Actually I found two, but this one was perfect! Since it was a piece of jewelry I wrapped the pieces that would be inserted in the cake with Glad cling wrap.

These were the three tests I did to make my white buttercream vintage white! Bottom one was an ivory paste, middle was brown extract, and the top was the almond extract non-clear that worked like a charm!

Just a quick close up of the cake without the ribbon and brooch.

The fabulous brooch!


 

Definitely one of my favorite cakes! I had so much fun learning how to do the different techniques and am excited about doing more with textured buttercream!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment